Recipe: Appetizing Best Victorian Tea Cakes
Best Victorian Tea Cakes.
You can have Best Victorian Tea Cakes using 18 ingredients and 10 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Best Victorian Tea Cakes
- Prepare 3/4 Cup of shortening (Crisco Butter Flavor is great!!).
- You need 1 Cup of sugar.
- You need 1 of large egg.
- Prepare 1 teaspoon of baking powder.
- Prepare 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda.
- Prepare 1/4 teaspoon of salt.
- It’s 1/4 teaspoon of nutmeg.
- It’s 1/4 teaspoon of vanilla.
- Prepare 1/2 teaspoon of lemon extract.
- You need 2 1/4 C of flour.
- You need 1/2 C of buttermilk (will describe how to make your own below, super easy).
- Prepare of Buttermilk.
- You need 1/2 cup of milk.
- It’s 2 teaspoons of white vinegar.
- Prepare of Optional Glaze.
- Prepare 3 C of confectioners sugar.
- You need 3 tablespoons of (and maybe a touch more) milk..you want a loose but not watery mixture.
- It’s 1 teaspoon of lemon extract.
Best Victorian Tea Cakes step by step
- Buttermilk: For this recipe, use 1/2 C of either 2% or whole milk and add 2 teaspoons of white vinegar..stir well and let sit for 5 minutes.
- Cream together the shortening and sugar until smooth, beat in the egg.
- At this point it's better to add the spices so they mix well…so add the baking powder, baking soda, salt, nutmeg, vanilla and lemon extract and mix well.
- Now add half the buttermilk, mix in, then add the remaining buttermilk.
- Now mix in the flour 1 cup at a time for a smooth dough…the dough will be light and fluffy.
- Using the scoop, place the cakes 2 inches apart on the cookie sheet (dough will spread).
- Bake for 10-12 minutes.
- Remove from oven and cool for 3 minutes on the cookie sheet before removing to a rack or plate to cool completely.
- Let the cakes cool to touch before glazing -also glazing is optional, these are great without the glaze too!.
- Enjoy! ❤️❤️.
No related posts.